You’ve been invited to a potluck, a family meal or a party in the throws of your 6 week Eat to Live program.
You’re stressed, you’re anxious, you’re absolutely terrified of falling off of the nutritarian plan that’s helping you loose weight, regain your health and feel amazing.
No one likes suffering through the night with a crudite platter, and (if you’re lucky) some afterthought hummus. Especially while watching fellow partygoers stuff their faces with buffalo wings, mystery meatballs and constantly asking you why you aren’t eating anything. Ugh.
Now, you just stop all that worrying!
I got you!
I’d like you to meet your new best friend–Cheesy Kale Casserole.
It’s nutritarian–that means no added salt, no oil, no processed foods.
It’s loaded with plant-based protein and nutrient-powerhouse superfoods like mushrooms, onions and kale.
Oh yeah, and it’s freakin’ delicious!
This recipe is going to become your social-eating shield. You are going to take this baby with you every time you get invited to a food-centric social gathering.
And guess what? Everyone is going to love you for it!
If you’re just about done with all the build up and blabbing, just scroll down to the end of the post for the printable recipe!
If foreplay’s your favorite part, come read with me…
You are going to be so pleasantly surprised to see that with the aid of a few pantry staples, these ingredients are going to be elevated into a savory, deeply-flavorful dish that’s going to leave you completely satisfied and content.
This is a soulful dish–the flavors run deep.
And, hello! Cheese sauce. Luscious, vegan cheese sauce makes life better. Just look at that:
It’s not a mid-week kinda meal. It’s a special occasion, dinner party, Sunday supper classic.
When I food prep for the week, I keep my meals simple and then do more complicated dishes, like this one, on the weekend. Especially Saturdays–that’s when I have the extra time, since Sundays are my meal prep days.
What I love about this casserole is you can make it a day ahead. Get it all ready to go the day or night before and then pop it in the oven when it’s showtime!
This is real cooking–and your taste buds are going to love you for it!
Yes, this necessitates bringing the word “pizzaz” back!
It’s pretty to look at. That’s another reason why it’s perfect for special family meals, dinner parties or when you’re invited to a potluck. Your hostess will be happy to have it on her spread and it’s hearty enough for vegans and meat-lovers alike.
Yeah, I’m pretty pumped up on this dish because I made it up all on my own! It’s been through revisions, corrections, rigorous testing–and now my hubby and I can’t live without it.
I make it every. single. weekend.
Okay, okay enough foreplay…
Let’s do this!
- First you’re going to need to make a batch of these two recipes:
- Nutritarian Cashew Cheese Sauce
- Nutritarian Tofu Scrambled Eggs
- 6 cups Tuscan or dinosaur kale (center ribs removed)
- 3 Cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 cups brown rice (already cooked)
- 2 cups tofu eggs (get recipe: http://mymommatoldme.com/nutritarian-tofu-scrambled-eggs/)
- 1 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- 1 cup cashew cheese sauce (get recipe: http://mymommatoldme.com/nutritarian-cashew-cheese-sauce/)
- 1 tbsp. no-salt seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Optional: vegan Parmesan cheese (get recipe: http://mymommatoldme.com/easy-vegan-parmesan-cheese-recipe/)
- Optional: vegan kale chips (try Rhythm Superfoods brand)
- Add 1 cup low-sodium veggie stock in large skillet, over medium-high heat. Add diced onions and saute for 6 minutes or just translucent.
- Add 3 cups chopped mushrooms, 1 cup of veggie stock, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder and 1 tbsp. no-salt seasoning. Saute for 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add 6 cups kale and reduce heat to medium. Saute for 7 minutes.
- Add 3/4th cup of the diced red peppers, reserve 1/4 cup for garnish. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, and add 2 cups brown rice, 2 cups tofu eggs, and 1 cup cashew cheese sauce. Mix well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Transfer mixture to oven-safe casserole dish.
- Add optional 1/4th cup vegan Parmesan cheese and 3 tbsp. crushed cheesy kale chips. Top with 1/4 cup diced red peppers.
- Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- I recommend having the cheese sauce and tofu scrambled eggs ready to go before starting the recipe. You can make this up to a day before and store it in the fridge before baking--just let it go for an extra 10-15 minutes in the oven. Leftovers keep for up to 7 days in the fridge.
Sign up for my weekly post updates and get my eBook sent to you right away! If you want an easier transition into Dr. Fuhrman’s plan, this is perfect for you!
Like the MMTM Facebook page and join a community of people who want to regain their health with nutritional excellence!