Buffalo “Chicken” Sandwich
Using one of my favorite vegetarian "junk foods," Morning Star's Veggie Buffalo Wings, you can enjoy a treat tasting just like Burger King's classic chicken sandwich!
If you liked my Vegetarian Buffalo “chicken” Pizza recipe, then you’ll love noshing on this chicken-less sandwich! As promised, here’s my recipe for a veggie-friendly chicken sandwich that tastes just like the classic chicken sandwich from Burger King, with about a tenth of the associated guilt! The main star here, once again, is Morning Star’s Veggie Buffalo Wings, which you can pick up at Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods and I’ve even seen them at Safeway on occasion.
Paired with a whole-grain burger bun (with lots of fiber) and Alexia’s baked sweet potato fries and you have a reasonably-healthy junk-food-like experience without that I-just-ate-a-bunch-of-empty-calories feeling!
BUFFALO CHICKEN-LESS SANDWICH:
- Morning Star’s Veggie Buffalo Wings, about 6 wings used per sandwich
- Burger buns (I used Uta’s brand from Whole Foods, yum)
- cheese slices (I used cheddar)
- shredded cabbage
- Organic mayonnaise
- white vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- paprika or a Cajun spice blend like Emeril’s Essence
- Prepare your coleslaw: Add 2 tablespoons of mayo and a 1/2 tablespoon of white vinegar for every 1 cup of shredded cabbage used. Each sandwich (depending on the size of your bun) should get about 1/2 cup of coleslaw. Mix together well, then add salt and pepper and spices to taste.
- Bake your veggie wings at 400 degrees in your oven or toaster oven for about 20-25 minutes (be careful, these tend to dry out and get hard if overcooked). The outside should be browned but the inside still moist. Remove from oven.
- Heat your burger bun in the oven/toaster oven until toasted. On the bottom of the bun layer the veggie wings and cheese, pop back in the toaster oven to melt the cheese.
- Top with your coleslaw and serve with sweet potato fries or a side salad.
Let me know what you think if you give this recipe a try! Be on the lookout for my next Morning Star creation: Buffalo “Chicken” Tacos! Do you have a love of these veggie wings too? Let me know if you have a recipe that you’d like featured on MyMommaToldMe!