Vegetarian Buffalo “Chicken” Pizza
This chicken-less version of the classic pizza topping, will leave your family amazed that it's meatless!
One of my favorite vegetarian “junk” foods are Morning Star’s Veggie Buffalo Wings. I call them “junk” food because they are very processed and have an overly-lengthy ingredient list. Still, they are far better for you than a fast food fried chicken sandwich any day! I eat these soy nuggets by themselves and dunked in hot sauce or I make them the star of a brand new dish that I create. So far I’ve used them in this homemade buffalo chicken-less pizza, a chicken-less sandwich (that tastes SO similar to Burger King’s classic version) and buffalo chicken-less tacos!
I will be posting all of these recipes over the next few weeks in honor of the “Meatless Monday” campaign that has been gaining traction around the U.S.. By having your family eat meatless at least one day a week you can improve your health and can help reduce your carbon footprint and save precious resources like fresh water and fossil fuel!
BUFFALO CHICKENLESS PIZZA
These Morning Star Veggie Buffalo Wings are the perfect vegetarian treat, that make you feel like you're cheating!
- pizza dough (make your own favorite batch or get pre-made dough, I used Trader Joe’s)
- pizza sauce or marinara sauce (I used Trader Joe’s Pizza Sauce)
- shredded cheese of your choice (I used traditional mozzarella)
- green onion (white and green parts)
- 1/2 box Morning Star Veggie Buffalo Wings
- Ranch dressing
- Optional: Siriacha Vietnamese hot sauce (or hot sauce of your choice)
- Preheat oven. I suggest pre-cooking the Morning Star veggie wings before they go on the pizza. If you have a toaster oven, you can pop them in there for a few minutes or you can even put them in the microwave for just a minute to warm them through. Cut them into thirds, or bite-sized pieces.
- Slice the whites of your green onions. These will be put on the pizza to bake with the cheese and add flavor. Chop the green part to reserve as a garnish.
- Prepare the pizza dough to specifications. I used a refrigerated pizza dough from Trader Joe’s that you just have to roll out and bake.
- Add your desired amount of pizza sauce or marinara (we like our pizzas saucy!) and sprinkle the top with the shredded cheese and the whites of the green onion.
- Bake until 3/4th of the way done–cheese should just have started to melt. Add the veggie wing pieces, arranging around the pizza. Continue to bake until finished.
- Drizzle your pizza with your favorite Ranch dressing and hot sauce and garnish with the reserved dark green tips of the green onion.
I hope you enjoy this vegetarian version of the classic Buffalo Chicken pizza! What meals do you make over to be vegetarian? Have you instituted Meatless Mondays in your household?