You’re just a week away from needing a really good mashed potato and gravy recipe in your life. Get ready to be amazed that this creamy, comforting duo can be made vegan, with no oil and with no added salt. That’s right, nutritarian mashed potatoes and gravy for the win!
So, now you have no excuse to detour from your nutritarian lifestyle during the holidays!
And it’s perfect to use as a substitute for cream of mushroom soup. I envision a baked green bean casserole on the horizon, or you can add it into this casserole instead of the cheese sauce, for a little something different.
It’s also glorious drizzled over roasted carrots or broccoli. Needless to say, once you make it you’re going to find a million reasons why you should make it again.
So, let’s figure out exactly why this nutritarian mushroom gravy is so damn delicious…
You’re going to layer flavors and build this sauce, slowly, from the ground up–and it’s going to shine in the final product!
First in the sauce pot are fine-diced onion, minced garlic and low-sodium veggie stock (in lieu of cooking oil). I cooked these down for about 12 minutes, till they were just starting to caramelize.
Next in are the thin-sliced mushrooms (baby bella or Cremini are best). They get another 8 to 10 minutes of love with some helpers, like liquid aminos, no-salt seasoning and fresh-cracked pepper.
Last in are the fine-diced bell peppers and fresh rosemary.
I had to do it. I know I’m close to being a serial-red-pepper-abuser but I just can’t stand it when my food has no color! The peppers and herbs only get cooked for a few minutes and then the magic happens…
Yeah, this isn’t your grandma’s cream.
This is plant-powered, good-for-you, damn-there’s-cauliflower-in-this(?) creamy goodness!
You’re going to use a cup of the cauliflower and onion cream sauce you used to make your nutritarian mashed potatoes to thicken your flavors up into a bona fide gravy. (Yeah, you should pretty much plan on making those mashed potatoes too!)
Now help me figure out all the ways to use and love this sauce!
Please leave your comments, tips and tricks below and I’m wishing you all a happy, happy holidays to come!
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium veggie broth
- 1 cup cauliflower cream sauce (reserved from mashed potatoes recipe--see above for link)
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. no-salt seasoning
- 8 oz container thin-sliced mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 tbsp. liquid aminos
- 1/4 cup fine-diced red pepper
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Add 2 cups veggie broth to a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add yellow onion and garlic and cook for 10 to 12 minutes. Onions should be translucent and soft.
- Reduce heat to medium and add sliced mushrooms, no-salt seasoning and liquid aminos. Cook for another 8 to 10 minutes, mushrooms should be soft.
- Reduce heat to medium- low and add in diced red pepper and rosemary. Stir for another 5 minutes or until red pepper is just beginning to soften.
- Add 1 cup cauliflower cream and 1/2 cup veggie broth. Stir to combine. Add fresh cracked pepper to taste.
Like the MMTM Facebook page and join a community of people who want to regain their health with nutritional excellence and be spoiled with monthly giveaways!