Feeling thankful you discovered Dr. Fhurman’s nutritarian plan? Why not share your love for the Eat to Live lifestyle by making a delicious and perfect-for-special-family-gatherings salad: Roasted Delicata Squash Salad with Pumpkin Balsamic Vinaigrette!
Did I mention this salad is vegan, oil-free, no added salt and nutritarian-approved?
Yup, it’s celebration-worthy.
And it’s my very first time cooking with this Fall stunner…
No doubt you’ve passed this squash in the store, just like I had, never knowing it’s true purpose or potential.
Well, thank goodness I like pretty things, because I picked one up at Trader Joe’s and it had a handy little sticker explaining how to use and best prepare delicata.
When I read “roast” I thought “win.”
Delicata has a soft creamy flesh that tastes a bit like sweet potato (and prepping bonus: you can eat the skin!).
I dreamt up a simple tahini-lemon sauce (in lieu of oil) to help the delicata roast up nicely and add a bit of richness too.
Full disclosure: I had to stop myself from eating the whole baking tray full and it was my very first time even tasting delicata squash! Needless to say, I’m converted!
I decided use an arugula base to contrast against the richness and softness of the squash. Fresh pomegranates and raw pepitas give you plenty of crunch (plus extra antioxidants and protein).
I modified one of my favorite Dr. Fuhrman dressings to add some extra fall flavors.
Come on, we pumpkin-spice everything this time of year, and balsamic vinaigrette should be no exception!
Nothing makes me happier than having a new, no-oil nutritarian salad dressing recipe at my disposal! This Fall version will go perfectly with any salad you make but works particularly magically with the tahini-roasted delicata.
We’re talking unicorn salad here my friends!
I wanted you to be able to bring a Dr. Fuhrman-approved dish that everyone would love and never expect was part of your “crazy diet.”
Let this salad be your tasty beacon of hope while surrounded by a spread of butter-laced debauchery!
And, I promise, it delivers on all fronts!
Easy-to-find ingredients. Fresh, refined taste.
Happy Thanksgiving, friends!
- 1 large (6 to 7 inch) delicata squash
- 7 oz. bag arugula
- 1/4 cup pomegranate
- 1/4 cup raw pepita seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1/4 cup tahini (no-oil added, just "sesame seeds" for ingredients)
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- no-salt seasoning (I use Costco brand)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup pumpkin (pureed in can)
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp. date sugar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut delicata in half, length-wise and remove seeds with spoon. Cut the squash into 1/4 inch slices.
- In large mixing bowl combine 1/4 cup tahini with 1/4 cup water and lemon juice. Whisk together until a thin batter-like consistency--adjust with a bit more water if necessary. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pour lemon-tahini sauce over the delicata in large mixing bowl and coat evenly using your hands to toss. Lay each piece of delicata on the lined baking sheet. Sprinkle liberally with no salt seasoning.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes. Check on the squash and keep baking until just beginning to brown on the bottom of the pieces.
- While the squash is cooking, place 1/2 cup water, walnuts, pumpkin, date sugar, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic powder and thyme into high-speed blender. Blend on one smoothie cycle or on high speed for about 2 minutes.
- After squash is done cooking allow it to cool for at least 5 minutes. Add your desired amount of dressing to the bag of arugula and toss to coat. Add pomegranates and pepitas and toss lightly. Arrange on serving dish and top with delicata pieces. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Take a tour of my nutritarian pantry! Find out the staples you need to have on hand, the essential Eat to Live spice rack, and more about weekly food prep containers!
Like the MMTM Facebook page and join a community of people who want to regain their health with nutritional excellence and be spoiled with monthly giveaways!